The drought problem poses major challenges for Flanders in terms of the quantity and quality of available water. Do you want to contribute to solutions to guarantee sufficient water of good quality for the various users in Flanders in the short and long term?
As a hydro-computer scientist you analyze digital water data and process this data in water quality and hydrological models for end users. You monitor the dynamics in hydrological modeling and hydroinformatics, anticipate future needs and translate these into specifications for setting up innovative services or products.
- You are part of a team of water experts and IT specialists who work in an open environment for government and industry in a Flemish and international context.
- You specialize in the integration of (sensor) measurements and models and make maximum use of the understanding and control of complex water systems.
- We expect input from our new colleague regarding:
- hydrological and physico-chemical processes and associated measurement methods in the aquatic environment
- data processing and analysis with standard software and via scripting (Python, R, ...)
- model concepts and modeling of the water system with both physically based models and data-driven models
- evaluation and optimization of model predictions based on measurements
- You have a master's degree or doctorate in science, (bio) engineering sciences, ...
- You have knowledge of physical processes in surface water and of modeling of the water system (hydrology and / or water quality)
- You have experience with data collection and data processing of measurement data, preferably in a water and / or climate related context.
- You have knowledge of GIS, computer languages (Python, Matlab, SQL…) and IT skills with regard to machine learning and AI are an added value.
- You are a dynamic person with a customer-oriented attitude
- You are an initiator who can work independently and purposefully
- You have an analytical mind and a high dose of creativity.
- You are communicative and you master the Dutch and English language, both orally and in writing.
- We offer a position in a leading customer-oriented organization in the field of innovative technological research and scientifically-based advice.
- The opportunity to cooperate in putting Flanders on the international map as an active knowledge region and to contribute to sustainable development.
- A competitive salary supplemented with various fringe benefits including allowances, insurance and a modular package of vacation days.
- Great freedom and flexibility in your job that enable you to achieve a nice work-life balance, including flexibility in working hours (part-time work) and workplace.
- Innovation is our trump card, we give our employees the opportunity to retrain and keep up within their field, even more so; we expect this.
R&D & Engineering
Job Types: Full-time, Contract